Irritable bowel syndrome is a stomach disorder which can be caused by a number of factors such as food, virus, water and so on. When this happens it is a way of your body telling you that It is very uncomfortable and leads to weakness if it goes on for a long time. Hence treatment at the earliest is essential.
- Food allergy is a main cause. Intolerance to some foods leads to Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Excess consumption of alcohol plays with the digestive system causing Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Believe it or not- anxiety also causes stomach upset
- Virus such as rotavirus or norovirus
- Intestinal parasites
- Bacteria like E. coli, salmonella found mainly in foods.
- Reaction to a medicine is a very common cause. Medicines with strong compositions often have Irritable bowel syndrome as a side effect.
- Radiation and chemotherapy are also causes because of the reaction of the strong rays reacting with the body.
- Stomach surgery.
- Abdominal pain and cramps are a sign that something is wrong with the digestive system.
- Loose and watery stools and going often to the toilet.
- Fever prolonging for more than a day or so
- Blood in the stool is a sign of serious Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Bloating is an initial sign
- Wanting to pass stool urgently and immediately.
Most important is to avoid certain foods which might aggravate the Irritable bowel syndrome such as alcohol, caffeine drinks, vegetables like broccoli, beans, peas and corn.
- Eating white rice by itself without mixing it with other foods aids in lessening the infection.
- There is a diet which requires you to eat bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Known as BRAT is known to be effective.
Yoghurt with probiotics is a good way to cure Irritable bowel syndrome. When on antibiotics the good bacteria lessen and it is the probiotics which help in regenerating them again.
Staying hydrated when suffering from ISB is essential. Increase water intake, have soups and juices but in limited quantity.
Ginger with honey is a good solution to get rid of Irritable bowel syndrome. Put clean mint leaves in hot water and drink it. Peppermint is known to cool down the body and cure stomach problems. Drinking chamomile tea is helpful.
A not so well known remedy is fenugreek seeds. Chewing the seeds by themselves helps a lot. For those who are unable to chew directly, you can mix with yoghurt and have it.