You can widely divide your emergency kit into three important parts.
1. Medical supplies
- Ensure you have 7 days worth pills which are prescribed to you.
- At least 3 Insulin packs, syringes/pens
- Glucose test strips and lancets.
- If you are using a glucometer, always have 2 extra batteries in this kit
- Cold pack in an insulated bag to store insulin
Make sure you check the kit once in three months to ensure the tablets haven't expired.
2. Food supplies
In case your glucose levels go down it suggested having
- Candies, glucose tablets/gels, juices
- Energy bars and drinks, biscuits, peanut butter, granola buttons
It is advisable to put aside food worth 2 days. Keep a check on the expiry date of these as well.
3. First aid kit
- Antiseptic ointment, cotton, adhesive bandage, painkillers
- Gloves, scissors, blanket, a plastic bag to dump the waste
- Hand sanitizers and tissues
Always have a torch, safety pins and water in the kit. It is very important to replenish the items as and when you use it. so follow that practice regularly to be emergency ready always!