The common cold is a minor illness, which happens because of the virus. With more than 200 types of virus around, the common cold keeps adding to the misery. Due to the common cold, many people are forced to stay back home. It is also quite contagious. On the whole, research shows that Americans have 1 billion colds a year.
Common cold symptoms include-
- Nose block
- Light fever
- Body ache
- Feeling of being unwell
- Rashes in some cases
As mentioned above, common cold is caused because of viruses. One of the most common types around has to be the rhinovirus, which is responsible for about 10% to 40% of colds. Besides this, coronavirus is the major cause of about 20% of cases. Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and parainfluenza virus lead to about 10% of colds each.
The common cold is not really serious but it does create havoc. You feel symptoms of being tired and fatigued along with nose block, constant sneezing, etc. Here are some simple remedies for dealing with this-
For this remedy, you can either use a professional steamer or even heat water over a big pot or pan on the gas. Just make sure that the water is boiling hot. You would also need a big towel to cover your face and prevent steam from escaping.
• Take a steamer or pan of hot water. Cover head with the towel. Inhale this steam and exhale deeply.
• To this steam add a few drops of eucalyptus or tea tree oil. You can also add any other essential oil. These oils sooth the inflated nasal passage and clear mucus.
• You can also run a hot shower in the bathroom. Then inhale the steam.
• Right after inhaling steam, blow your nose. This will get rid of mucus.
A common and yet easily available home remedy for common cold is mustard oil.
• Heat mustard oil. When bearable temperature apply on nose, neck and back.
• Apply this oil on feet and massage. Cover with socks. This improves breathability.
• Burn some garlic cloves in mustard oil. Strain and use this oil for massaging.
• You can also inhale the steam of the burning mustard oil.
You can easily buy a salt or saline water nasal spray in the market. You can make it at home using-
• Mixing 3 teaspoons of iodide-free salt with 1 teaspoon baking soda.
• Place this liquid in an airtight container.
• Now add one teaspoon of this mixture to 8 ounces of lukewarm boiled or distilled water.
• Use a few drops of this water inside the nasal passage
• Put head back in an upward tilt. This allows the nasal drop to reach the back of your nasal passage.
Having a lot of vitamin C is recommended as home remedy for common cold.
• Eat more of oranges, sweet lime and even grapefruit.
• Take out a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. Drink twice a day.
• Avoid the packaged ones.
• You can also mix honey, lemon juice with warm water. Drink this 2-3 times.