top button
    Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Most popular tags
    yoga meditation yoga for health healthcare diabetes benefits pregnancy yoga poses home remedies human body weight loss asanas food surya namaskar mindfulness fertility health ayurveda infertility type 2

Are fasting blood sugar and morning sugar the same? And what makes it so high?

+1 vote
posted Jun 14, 2016 by anonymous

Share this question
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

1 Answer

+1 vote

Basically morning sugar is another name for fasting sugar, which is a test undertaken to check and diagnose diabetes. As the name refers to, fasting sugar means not having any food or drink for at least 8 hours prior to testing. Ideally, morning hours are best suited for this test because you are waking up after some rest and hence the carbohydrate metabolism can be tested for your blood sugar levels.

In almost all cases, the morning sugar levels are much higher than your regular sugar levels. This happens because of hormonal changes that causes levels of glucose to rise. Individuals who don’t have diabetes tend to balance this with increased insulin production. But diabetic patients are unable to do the same.

Two contributing factors here include is the insulin resistance. This is a condition in which the muscles and the cells of the body are unable to use the insulin that our body makes in the correct way - thus failing to lower glucose levels. It also has an impact on how your liver processes and uses the stored sugar in the night. In normal human beings, small doses of sugar are released by the liver at night as your body sleeps. But for those suffering from type2 diabetes, the liver dumps a lot more sugar into the system. Hence it leads to a disastrous combination of hormones and liver resulting in higher blood glucose.

Though glucose levels are controlled during the day with exercise and diet, morning or fasting sugar is not. This is something that has to be treated via medication. Fasting sugar for a normal person (without diabetes) should be 70–99 mg/dl (3.9–5.5 mmol/L). For someone who has diabetes the ideal range should be 80–130 mg/dl (4.5–7.2 mmol/L). Anything beyond this would be considered risky.

answer Jun 14, 2016 by Kiran
Similar Questions
0 votes

Over the last couple of weeks my fasting blood glucose has risen sharply and I don't know why.   They used to be about 7.4 now they are about 8 or above, also they seem high after meals even though I'm watching my carb intake and trying to lose weight - what's happening? 

0 votes

Hi,

I've been a type 2 diabetic for four years. I was able to control it with diet and exercise. But I develop allergies. The strangest thing have been happening lately. Most of the time when I check my blood sugar it's normal, but then it sometimes jumps to 300 or 400 and within minutes gets back to normal. Help ! is anyone familiar with this?

We don't provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional information.