Constipation is a condition that is associated with trouble in emptying your bowels. It is a problem associated with hardened faeces.
Constipation can happen because of multiple reasons. Some of these are listed below-
- Stress and anxiety
- Antacid medicines
- Medicines that contain calcium or aluminum
- Not having enough fibre
- Too much of dairy products
- Suffering from eating disorder, IBS, etc.
- Neurological conditions
- Pregnancy, inactivity, obesity, etc.
People suffering from constipation would experience the following symptoms-
- Swollen belly
- Tightness in the stomach
- Hard and very small sized stools
- Light blood during bowel movement
- Pressure in the fissure area that can lead to haemorrhoids
Constipation can cause acute back pain, haemorrhoids and also discomfort. These home remedies help ease the same.
Fibre in any vegetable, fruit, grain, etc. form is an excellent remedy for constipation. It aids digestive functions and help in smoother bowel movements.
• Have one bowl of fibrous fruits like papaya, pineapple, etc. which are also laxative.
• You should also include at least 5 portions of vegetables and fruits in your meals. Opt for cut fruits with peel on. Grapes, strawberries, raw tomatoes, etc. are suggested.
• Include whole grain in your diet. Have whole wheat or multigrain cereals, breads, pasta.
• Avoid white flour. Combine flours made with millets, whole wheat, oats, etc.
• Chew the food slowly to ease digestion.
Sesame seeds are one of the most common forms of laxative found in the house to ease constipation.
• Toast a cup of these sesame seeds. Have one spoon everyday on empty stomach.
• You can also sprinkle these seeds on vegetables, salads, desserts, etc.
• Soak sesame seeds in some yogurt. Mix this with handful of chickpeas, garlic and olive oil. This homemade hummus is excellent for constipation.
• You can also mix toasted sesame seeds with toasted fennel. It works as a mouth freshener and eases constipation too.
• Have one spoon of sesame oil with warm water. Mix some honey and lemon to it.
Different kinds of herbal teas help ease constipation. The warm water smoothens bowel movements.
• Take one cup of boiling hot water. Add grated ginger and mint to it.
• Cover for about 5 minutes. Strain and drink.
• You can also add honey and lemon to this for added benefits.
• Celery or coriander can also be used here. Both herbs help ease constipation issues.
• Make a cup of green tea twice a day. Drink it warm, but without sugar.
• Take a handful of raisins. Munch on them as a snack, chewing slowly.
• If using sultanas, soak them overnight in warm water. Puree it or chew on them as it is.
• Drink the water too. It has nutritional benefits
• Add 1/2 cup of raising to your favourite cereal. You can also add prunes, dried cherries here.
• Raisins can be mixed with yogurt and consumed too.