Surya namaskara is a series of twelve physical postures. These alternating backward and forward bending postures flex and stretch the spinal column through their maximum range giving a profound stretch to the whole body.
To list some of the benefits of Suryanamaskar:
• Tones up the digestive system by the alternate stretching and compression of abdominal organs. It activates digestion and gets rid of constipation and dyspepsia.
• Strengthens abdominal muscles.
• Thoroughly ventilates the lungs, and oxygenates the blood.
• Acts as detoxifying agent, by getting rid of enormous quantity of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases.
• Promotes sleep and calms anxiety.
• Tones up the nervous system and improves memory.
• Normalizes the activity of the endocrine glands - especially the thyroid gland.
• Refreshes the skin. Prevents Skin disorders.
• Improves muscle flexibility.
• In women, stimulates the breasts to help firmness normally. Restores any lost elasticity, through stimulation of glands and the strengthening of pectoral muscles.
• menstrual irregularity and assists in easy childbirth.
• Prevents loss of hair and graying.