For this reason, losing belly fat has massive benefits for your health and can help you live longer.
Belly fat is usually estimated by measuring the circumference around your waist. This can easily be done at home with a simple tape measure.
Anything above 40 inches (102 cm) in men and 35 inches (88 cm) in women is known as abdominal obesity.
If you have a lot of excess fat around your waistline, then you should take some steps to get rid of it even if you're not very heavy overall.
Fortunately, there are a few proven strategies that have been shown to target the fat in the belly area more than other areas of the body.
Here are 6 evidence-based ways to lose belly fat.
1. Don't eat sugar and avoid sugar-sweetened drinks
2. Eating more protein is a great long-term strategy to reduce belly fat
3. Cut carbs from your diet
4. Eat foods rich in fiber, especially viscous fiber
5. Exercise is very effective at reducing belly fat
6. Track your foods and figure out exactly what and how much you are eating