Sun is the sustainer of the universe, composed of movables and immovables-rig Veda.
The performance of Surya Namaskar brings several lifelong benefits. the following are a few.
- Surya Namaskar is a general conditioning exercise. the entire body is exercised and revitalized by twelve simple and well-balanced movements.
- it tones and limbers up the limbs and organs of the body in one complete set of movements. the limbs of the body become symmetrical by regular practice. the body also becomes light.
- the muscles of the neck, shoulders, arms, legs, hips and abdomen become firm. eye muscles also are brought into play.
- stiff joints get loosened. the wrists particularly benefit since the weight of the body falls mostly on them while the positions are changed from 3 to 10.
- The movement stimulates the blood circulation and helps to distribute the blood to all the organs of the body. they provide an excelled warm-up for the entire body.
- all the nerve plexes benefit and so does the entire nervous system. the function of the brain also improves.
- the performance of namaskars harmonizes the endocrine system.
- the capacity of the lungs increases by the deep breathing. the action of the heart also improves without strain.
- surya namaskar stretches the spine in several directions and makes it supple. it also relieves aches and pains in the spinal area.
- deviations of the spinal curve are corrected and a good posture ensured.
- surya namaskar stretches and contracts the abdomen and relieves congestion of the abdominal viscera. the organs of the abdomen receive a good massage and function more efficiently.
- it reduces excess fat in the abdomen, waist, thighs and other parts of the body. blood cholesterol levels also decline.
- bowels function properly as the peristalsis is stimulated.
- several ailments and disorders such as indigestion and backache can be cured or prevented by the regular performance of namaskars.
- it removes psychosomatic tensions and calms the mind.
- the performance of namaskars increases the power of concentration and develops an attitude of reverence and devotion to the supreme.