How to do a perfect Yoga Nidra:
- Lie down straight on your back in Corpse Pose (Shavasana). Close your eyes and relax. Take a few deep breaths in and out. Remember to take slow and relaxed breaths, and not ujjayi breaths.
- Start by gently taking your attention to your right foot. Keep your attention there for a few seconds, while relaxing your foot. Then gently move your attention up to the right knee, right thigh and hip. Become aware of your whole right leg.
- Gently, repeat this process for the left leg.
- Take your attention to all parts of the body: genital area, stomach, navel region chest
- Take your attention to the right shoulder and right arm, palms and fingers then repeat this on the left shoulder and left arm, thro, face and finally the top of the head.
- Take a deep breath in, observe the sensations in your body, and relax in this still state for a few minutes.
- Now, slowly becoming aware of your body and surroundings, turn to your right side and keep lying down for a few more minutes. Rolling over to the right side makes the breath low through the left nostril which helps cool the body.
- Taking your own time, you may then slowly sit up, and whenever you feel comfortable, slowly and gradually open your eyes.