The most common myth about meditation is that you HAVE to meditate, while meditation is simply observing your self-meditating.
The thing is that we all are in a state of meditation every second of our lives, its just when we acknowledge that state, we feel that we are meditating.
One simple and very effective method of meditation for a beginner is-
- Sit with your back straight (It can be your bed, a chair etc.)
- Now make that place free of outside noise.( try to make it very silent)
- You can put on noise cancelling headphones.
- Now all you have to do is breathe.
- On your in breath say I am breathing in
- On the out, breath say I am breathing out
- Do all of the sayings in your head not by speaking the words.
You have to do this exercise for about 10–12 times and you will become calm and composed and be at peace. You will be distracted by thoughts coming in your mind, All you have to do is take a step aside and simply try to travel with those thoughts without being attached to them, its like you are travelling with your thoughts.
Don’t try to concentrate on not being distracted, just simply let yourself be there, present in that moment not attaching yourself with any feeling or thoughts.