• Menstrual issues: Heavy or no bleeding, irregular periods.
• Hair loss: Loss of hair is the most common symptom. However, developing hair where you do not quite require (face, stomach, chest) is also an important oddity, this is called Hirsutism.
• Depression or mood swings: A constant twitching between good to bad moods and anxiety.
• Weight gain: Women with PCOS, tend to be over weight especially around the waist and hips. Losing weight sometimes might become a nightmare.
• Acne: Dandruff, oily skin and acne, though are not the prominent symptoms, these coupled with any of the above could help better diagnosis.
• Sleep Apnea: This is characterized by sudden glitch in breathing during sleep, resulting in irregular heart beats and breathlessness.
After an initial background check about the family history, the doctors suggest to take up any one of these or a combination of these tests:
• Thyroid Function Test
• Test to check Glucose levels
• Vaginal Ultrasound
• Pelvic Laparoscopy
If there is a slight deviation in any of the normal attributes showing growth of cysts, the tissue sample from the body will be sent for further examination.