top button
    Connect to us
      Facebook Login
      Site Registration Why to Join

Most popular tags
    diabetes home remedies pregnancy healthcare fertility infertility type 2 symptoms causes sugar levels food eyes sperm community doc conception type 1 yoga treatment pregnant dental care
Print Preview

Is it possible that Sleeping on back in pregnancy tied to Stillbirth risk?

+1 vote
posted Apr 12 by anonymous

Share this question
Facebook Share Button Twitter Share Button Google+ Share Button LinkedIn Share Button Multiple Social Share Button

1 Answer

0 votes

Yes, women who sleep on their backs in the later months of pregnancy may have a relatively higher risk of stillbirth if they already have other risk factors, a new study suggests.

Experts stressed that the findings do not prove that sleep position itself affects stillbirth risk.

"We should be cautious in interpreting the results," said Dr. George Saade, director of maternal-fetal medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.

"We can't conclude that sleeping on the back causes stillbirth, or that sleeping on your side will prevent it," said Saade, who was not involved in the study.

It is, however, plausible that back-sleeping could contribute, Saade said. Lying on the back can exacerbate sleep apnea, where breathing repeatedly stops and starts throughout the night, and if a fetus is already vulnerable, that reduced oxygen flow could conceivably boost the odds of stillbirth, he explained.

answer Apr 18 by Dr Indu
Similar Questions
0 votes

I am 6 weeks pregnant and have been cramping and having side pain on both sides. I can't get into my doctor until next week and I am wondering if this is normal. I am worried and scared to miscarry because this is my first pregnancy. I'm not sure what I should feel like being pregnant.

0 votes

I am 5 weeks I have been having lower mild cramping which my doctor said was normal.

We don't provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional information.