Dry or chapped lips are one of the common problems that induce pain and make the face ugly. This occurs when the lips lose the moisture due to dehydration or if the lips are exposed to the sun or the wind. Sometimes dry lips might be the preceding condition for certain diseases. Dry lips can be a symptom of certain diseases, too.
Causes of Dry Lips
· Deficiency in vitamins
· Reactions that are allergic
· Loss of water – Dehydration
· Excessive smoking
· Licking the lips
· Exposure to the sun and weather that is harsh
Symptoms of Dry Lips
· Bleeding of lips
· Cracks in lips
· Swelling on the lips
· Lip sores
· Scaling of lips
· Flaking of lips
· Dryness experienced in the or close to the mouth
Home Remedies for Dry Lips
· Mix a teaspoon of glycerin with 2 teaspoons of sugar. This paste should be applied on the lips and allowed to dry for few minutes.
· Fingers should be used to rub the mixture on the lips to remove the dead cells from the skin.
· Then the lips should be washed off with water that is lukewarm.
· Along with reducing the dryness of lips, rose petals help in restoring the color of the lips.
· A good number of rose petals should be washed with water. Then, these petals should be soaked in milk for some hours.
· After soaking in milk, the rose petals should be crushed into a paste that is thick.
· The paste should be applied on the lips for 2 or 3 times and once just before going to bed.
Coconut or Olive oil
· Coconut oil should be applied on the parched lips throughout the day to moisten the lips.
· Olive oil can be used, too.
· Castor oil can be generally applied on the lips for moistening.
· A single teaspoon of glycerin and castor oil and some drops of lemon juice that is freshly prepared should be thoroughly mixed.
· This mixture should be applied just before hitting the bed after dinner.
· This should be washed off in the morning using a cotton ball and water that is lukewarm.
· Fresh milk cream can be applied on the parched lips and left for ten minutes.
· This should be washed gently using a cotton ball and lukewarm water.
Drinking a lot of water
· At least 8 glasses of water should be consumed daily to avoid parched lips. This helps the lips stay nourished and moisturised.